Wednesday 12 August 2009

Oil Skins - Check. Boots - Check. Shorts -Check. Socks....hmmmm how many pairs to take??!!!!

So prep for the race is really beginning to take off (its just over 30 days before I set off) and I'm getting to the stage where I am faced with the usual conundrums of previous trips - what kit to take!

I'm beginning to buy the last bits I think I'll need to take with me and questions of cotton vs. synthetic, heavy weight vs. light weight, 3 pairs or 4 pairs are going round and round my head on an almost daily basis!

Training for a few weeks on the Solent gives you a fairly good idea but that is after all, only a week. Packing a bag for ten months has had me scratching my head a little, since the weather will change so significantly during the race. We'll encounter the full spectrum from freezing temperatures with snow and rough weather for weeks on end, right through to being so hot down in the galley on the way to Singapore that it becomes almost unbearable!

Planning for the trip swings almost always in favour of making me super-excited, but very occassionaly to the mind-bogglingly complex, making me crave the simplicity of adventures where you sling a bag over your shoulder and set off from your front door. This time around though it would be folly in the extreme to head out to the world's oceans without the right kit and preparation.

So while the kit debate is still in full swing, the good news is that atleast I have chosen what book I'm going to bring on the boat! Its called 'Kiss or Kill' by Mark Twight, a climber from North America. Hopefully in times of plight it will give me the mental resolve i need - no matter how bad I think I have it the suffering this guy went through to achieve his goals is epic in comparison...

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to do whole the race in 11/12 - very jealous that you are about to set off! I thought i would tell you the top 5 items on my packing list for when i'm travelling just in case it rings a few bells for you - EAR PLUGS:stops some of that snoring noise from fellow travellers (but not sure how much snoring you will hear above the waves). MARMITE - makes anything taste better and lasts for ages, BABY WIPES - a necessity not a luxury - go for the thickest then you only need one at a time, SLEEPING BAG LINER - without one your bag becomes rank after a very short time and never recovers, AUDIO BOOKS ON MY IPOD - one book is never enough for me so this is the best way to carry tons of books.

    Have a great time - i've bookmarked a few blogs and can't wait till you all get going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd definitely recommend doing 11/12 race. I haven't even set off yet but the last year has just been so exciting. Training is great fun, the people you meet are great, and then of course there is the race itself!

    Thanks for the top 5 list. I'd have to say - Earplugs, Baby Wipes, Sleeping bag liner and Audio Books - all good I like it.

    Marmite..... ohhhhhhh no... :)

    Plenty of posts on the way, thanks for following

    Pete

    ReplyDelete

Just use the ANONYMOUS PROFILE if you are having a problems with other ones.